The XK140 Jaguar was introduced in October 1954
to replace the top selling XK120
. There were as before 3 body styles - Roadster, Fixed Head Coupe and Drophead Coupe. Both of the coupe's now featured occasional rear seating for 2 adults.
All the new models featured similar body pressings as the XK120
, but the doors were now 3 inches longer as the engine, bulkhead and windscreen had been moved forward to improve the interior space.
There was also different external trim, such as a one piece heavier looking front grill and large Mk VII saloon style bumpers. Mechanical improvements over the XK120
which were common to all models included rack and pinion steering, telescopic dampers, and a more powerful version of the 3442cc engine which produced 190 bhp, or in the optional SE or "Special equipment" models 210 bhp.
These SE models also had the option of wire wheels. Later on in the production run in 1956
, an automatic gearbox became available as an optional extra on the Drophead and fixed head coupe's. Overdrive also became available as an option on all models.
Production of all models ended in 1957
when the XK150