The diminutive Mini was first launched in August 1959, then as either the Morris Mini Minor or Austin Seven. Both were near identical, save for their grille treatment and of course the necessary badges to help identify which was which.
The initial engine used to power the Mini was the BMC A series 848cc unit, fitted transversely and driving the front wheels through an integrated gearbox.
In Australia, the Morris 850
was available in a limited number of colors, namely red, white, blue and yellow. The Australian built cars also made a number of concessions to the harsh Aussie conditions.
There were stronger interior door handles, the trim used a stronger grade of vinyl, and soon after production began a switch was made to anodising the grille, rather than it just being painted.
- Years of Manufacture: 1959 - 1968 (until release of Mk.II)
- Number Built: 5,300,000+ (all models)
- Price at Introduction:
- Date of Introduction:
- 2 door saloon, with all steel body mounted on steel front and rear sub-frames
- Exterior Dimensions:
- Total Length: 10' 0.25 in.
- Total Width: 4' 7.5 in.
- Total Height at kerb weight: 4' 5.0 in.
- Ground Clearance: 6.0 in.
- Wheelbase: 6' 8.0 in.
- Front Track: 3' 11.4 in.
- Rear Track:
3' 9.9 in.
- Kerb Weight:
- Fuel Tank:
- Turning Circle:
- Petrol gauge
- Oil Filter Tell-Tale
- Temp gauge
- Oil pressure gauge
- Main beam warning light
- Ignition warning light
- Transmission (Manual, 4 Speed):
- Four speed, floor mounted gear stick, synchromesh on 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears
- 1st: 3.63:1
- 2nd: 2.17:1
- 3rd: 1.41:1
- 4th: 1.0:1
- Reverse: 3.63:1
- Speed In Gears:
- 1st: 26 mph / 42 km/h
- 2nd: 44 mph / 71 km/h
- 3rd: 67 mph / 108 km/h
- 4th: 75 mph / 121 km/h
- Borg and Beck diaphragm spring, 7 inch diameter
- Rear Axle Ratio:
- Hellical spur gears, 3.44:1
- Maximum Speed:
- Fuel Consumption:
- 40 mpg / 7.1 liters per 100 km
- 0 - 60 mph:
- Standing Quarter Mile: n/a
- Engine (BMC A Series 4 Cylinder):
- Capacity: 848cc
- Type: Conventional, watercooled four
stroke, reciprocating piston type with
4 cylinders, single overhead cam, lens type welch plugs x 4 lifter side covers
- Configuration: Front mounted, transverse (East / West)
- Head: Pushrod and rocker actuated ohv
with two valves per cylinder
- Fuel System: SU HS2 Single
downdraft type carburetor with SU electric fuel pump
- Bore and Stroke: 2.4770 in. x 2.687 in.
33 bhp @ 5,500rpm
44.0 ft. lb. @ 2,900rpm
- Compression Ratio:
- Firing Order: 1-3-4-2
- Valve Clearance (Inlet and Exhaust): .012 in.
- Cylinder Head Tension: 42 ft. lb.
- Conrod Bolt Tension: 35 ft. lb.
- Main Bearing Tension: 60 ft. lb.
- Flywheel Tension: 150 ft. lb.
- Points Gap: .015 in.
- Dwell Angle: 60 + or - 5
- Ignition and Electrical:
- 12 volt, 34 amp. hr
- Lucas generator
- Lucas sealed filament headlamps 100/80 watt total
- 2 x fuses
- Wipers set at single speed, and self parking
- Front: Independent, rubber cone
- Rear: Independent, rubber cone
- Rack and Pinion
- Wheel diameter: 15.75
- Lockheed drums, front and rear
- Front: 7 in. diameter, 1.5 inch wide shoes
- Rear: 7 in. diameter, 1.25 inch wide shoes
- Swept Area Front: 65.9 sq. in.
- Swept Area Rear: 54.9 sq. in.
- Total Swept Area: 120.8 sq. in.
- Pressed steel disc wheels
- 4 stud fixing
- 3.5 inch wide rim