The Detroit region was shown accountable in 1944, for 13·6 per cent of the nation's munitions output. In 1944 $9 billion worth of war material was produced and the cost to the Government had been reduced by one-third since 1941. In November 1944 the War Production Board authorized production of limited numbers of civilian trucks for essential non-military use. Things were about to change, and by the summer of 1945 many manufacturers commenced civilian car production again. What emerged were face-lifted 1942 models. At first only a few different body styles were released but the model availability was gradually extended to almost 1942 level. They were launched as 1946 models.