In 1955, the NSU engineering department was instructed
to build a new small car.
Reportedly some seven and a
half million marks were borrowed to build an entirely
new plant for the project.
Two years later, the new model was revealed to the public
at the 1957 Frankfurt Auto Show.
Its attractive body carried
a 583cc twin-cylinder 4-stroke motor which featured the
technically interesting Ultramax cam-drive using eccentrics
Production began in March 1958, and in 1959 came the
Prinz II featuring better trim and an all-synchro
box. A high performance 30E (export) version gave
The Prinz III arrived in October 1960 with
a new stabilizer bar and the 30hp motor, making it
one of the fastest small cars of its time-at 120 km/h.
This attractive car was also technically well sorted out
and built. It was succeeded in 1961 by the Corvair-like
Volkswagen took over NSU, and then merged it
with its Audi subsidiary to form Audi NSU Auto Union AG.
Our thanks to Gerard Pille for supplying the image shown left.