Seen as the outstanding economy car of its time, the
Morris Minor was a best seller as well as being a long
standing car in terms of production.
Built from 1948 to 1971, it boasted rack-and-pinion steering
and torsion-bar independent rear suspension. Its superb
handling and smooth styling resulted in this car being
viewed by Brits as ultramodern when compared to pre-war
vehicles that existed at the time.
Initial cars used the under-powered Series E flat-head
engine, as well as low-slung headlights (that were to
remain in use until 1950 when cars were either a two-door,
or later, a four door).
In 1952 the overhead-valve Austin engine was used and
in 1953 the (now highly collectable) half timber Traveller
In 1956 the engine capacity grew to 948cc and cars were
badged Minor 1000. This put top speed up to 112 km/h and
also made the car a standout because of its larger rear
window (on saloon models) and single piece front screen.
Doors became wider in 1959, and flashing indicators replaced
semaphores in 1961. When BMC had produced 1,000,000 of
the Minor a commemorative edition colored lilac and using
white seats was brought out.
The final change to this car occurred in 1962 with the
establishment of its 1098cc 48 bhp motor. Saloons and
open-tourers ceased production in the late '60's, but
the two-door and the Traveller were built until 1971.