After the Second World War the MG company from Oxfordshire
enhanced its earlier model, the TB and created the TC.
Both had big 48cm wheels, a fold-flat screen, crude suspension
and a slab tank body with ash framing.
The TC body was wider and it also used syncromesh on its
second, third and top gears resulting in a more pleasant
drive. Hydraulic brakes were also viewed as a big improvement
on its predecessor.
This model was a nippy little car
that was not just fun to drive but could manage 125 km/h.
It did have heavy steering and very hard suspension which
luckily did not do its reputation any harm.
American servicemen stationed in England loved them so
much that they took them back home with them giving America
a taste for European sports cars that it never lost. This
caused a big export drive to the US where the majority
of the 10,000 produced ended up.
In 1949 the TC was superseded by the TD which used the
same body, same 1250 cc motor but offered new independent
front suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. It housed
bumpers on both the front and rear and was also roomier
It was hugely popular with nearly 30,000 being made in
four years of production. In 1953 MG released the TF.
The shape of this model was seen as more modern, due to
its molded headlamps which sloped the grille and fuel
It had individual front seats and a stylish dashboard.
The first versions of the TF had the 1250cc motor, but
in 1954 a 1500cc was used giving a much better performance.
It was touted as being just a re-vamp of the earlier versions
but ironically is the most collectable.